Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Oslo, Norway (Day 3!)

Day three in Oslo was nice and relaxing.  I checked out of the hostel at 11 am and then went to meet Jess and Caitlin at the harbor.  They had just come back from Bergen and wanted to see the fortress area.  It was kind of a miracle that they found me, because I gave them really confusing directions!  And I got really confusing directions from the hostel front desk!  But we ended up finding each other thankfully.  If i'm not mistaken, this area helped inspire the makers of Frozen!

We walked around the fortress and took some pictures of the fjord, church, and castle.  It was beautiful, with an amazing view!  I just fell in love with all of Scandinavia!

























At 5 we went to the airport and spent the rest of the night there because our flight left early the next morning.  I ended up finding a booth to sleep on and I actually slept really well!

While I was sitting in the airport killing time, I read a pamphlet and learned a couple of interesting facts about Norway:

1) Norwegians are world champions when it comes to drinking coffee?  Oslowegians consume around 500 million cups of coffee a year; almost 1,000 cups per inhabitant.

2) Oslo is one of the oldest capitals in Europe, and is thought to have been originally settled in viking times.  Excavations have exposed the remains of a settlement from around 1,000 AD.  The viking settlement was located in Bjorvika, where the National Opera stands today.


Until Next Time!
~XOXO
-Keeley

No comments:

Post a Comment